The following attitudes, once adopted, lead to a more positive work environment, higher rates of worker and manager satisfaction, and–as a result–higher production and longer employee tenure. Don’t believe me? OK, read the list, and tell me which one you DON’T want your boss to possess. Now, which one do you think the boos wants YOU to ignore?
Attitudes for the Workplace
Virtue is to be preferred to gold. ~Ancient Irish proverb.
The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind. ~William James
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright
Attitudes are contagious. Are yours worth catching? ~Wendy Mannering
1. Put others first.
- Make their day.
- Listen more.
- Share others’ burdens, needs, and feelings.
- Be first to offer acceptance, compassion, encouragement, respect, and security.
2. Live an open and honest lifestyle.
- Add honor to the situation.
- Live the truth.
- Be transparent.
- Don’t be an information silo—offer complete information freely.
- Do the thing that takes the harder right—it’s worth it in the end.
3. Offer and receive correction humbly.
- Discipline yourself so no one else has to.
- Ask for feedback.
- Avoid conjecture; give advice based on facts.
- If you have to feed someone mud, at least put it between two pieces of sweet bread.
4. Clean up relationships.
- Apologize before things get out of hand.
- Talk through problems.
- When you mess up, clean up.
- Never, never, never, never, never break confidence (and assume dirty laundry is confidential).
- Keep the company stories alive.
- Pitch in when something needs doing.
- Be on time.
- Show gratitude.
6. Give something back.
- Make the world better because of you.
- Support justice
7. Follow leaders within reasonable boundaries.
- Choose a good attitude.
- Get the facts before judging leaders’ decisions.
- Respect old people.
- Ask for help.
- If asked to do something that sounds out of bounds, speak up.
Which one are you best at today?
Which one would you like help with?
Where will you go to get that help, and when?